Monday, March 14, 2011

Giving up Coke

Story of the Week

Gather round as this ol' chunk of coal tell's you yet another yarn. As I may have told some of you before, giving up Coke(the soda) was one of the hardest things for me to do. I sometimes would refuse to eat a meal, unless there was Coke there. Most times driving out to the grocery store and bringing it back before I ate.


But that was all about to change...I was trying to get in shape for Senior Trip, because I was not blessed with a natural body. I naturally had a bird chest and gut. I actually had a friend who worked out to stay in shape, so I hung out with him and started taking advice. He told me he didn't drink Coke, which I laughed at. I knew he abstained from alcohol and a lot of other things, but I didn't think he was that serious. I thought he was just trying to play up how much more of a straight arrow he was, than even me. Which with his flat top, and device that omitted curse words out of radio songs(yes, that was actually invented) I would never be able compete.


So I thought okay, I'll try it. Challenges are fun...sometimes. I wasn't sure how a drink could make me fat, but I took his advice anyway. I decided to give it up for 2 weeks, and then go back to it. After the 2 weeks were over I tried to take a drink, but it felt like acid going down my throat. All my years of drinking soda were over. I haven't touched a coke since the year 2000.


I did the same with other foods to kick the cravings. No more pig, fruit juice, or red meat. Weight just seemed to shed off of me within weeks. A lot of people like to have cheat days or cheat meals, but I find if you stay away from something long enough you don't want it anymore.


What food is just impossible for you to give up?



or


Did you finally give up something that's been plagueing you for years?



Let me know. And yes it's your HOMEWORK!



MEAL PLANNING

Snack #2 - 3:00pm
1% Cottage Cheese
1 Ripe Banana
Bottle of Water

Dinner - 6:30pm
Grilled Pork Chop
Applesauce
Grilled Portabello
Muschrooms
Baked Sweet Potato
Bottle of Water

Snack #3 - 9:30pm
Air Popped Popcorn
with Cajun Spices
Bottle of Water






Vegeterian/Vegan:
Snack #2 - 3:30pm
Soy Yogurt
Ripe Banana


Dinner - 6:30pm

Meat Substitute(Soy, Tempeh, Seitan)
Applesauce
Grilled Portabello
Muschrooms
Baked Sweet Potato
Bottle of Water
Bottle of Water

RECIPE OF THE WEEK


Crustless Quiche

I've been asked to add recipe's to the newsletter, so hear ya go!


Here is an easy basic quiche recipe I found. I made it as written, but the sky is the limit as to what vegetables and cheese you use. The next time I make it I’m going to try adding diced tomato and kalamata olives. Italian turkey sausage would be tasty too. I think it could be turned into a “potluck pleaser” by pouring it into muffin papers for ”mini quiches” . You could bake them the night before and pop them in the microwave before serving. If you try it, I’d love to hear how you made it your own.

  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 6-oz fresh baby spinach
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup flour (whole wheat or AP)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/3 cups skip milk
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Spray a 10-inch quiche or pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Cook diced onion with cooking spray or a little coconut oil over medium heat until tender. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Set aside to cool for a minute.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in milk, stir in spinach-onion mixture.

Pour quiche base into pan. Top with feta cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until center is set and edges are brown. Let set for 5 munutes and serve.


ANYONE WHO FOLLOWS THIS RECIPE AND CONCOCTS THIS FRENCH DISH LET ME KNOW THE RESULTS







FINAL THOUGHTS

Yeah, that's right. Even though I don't eat pig (for various reasons), I through it in todays food plan anyway. The secret's out, sometimes I'm nice and do things like that. Anyway's try to pick one food you know you want to give up, just one, and see what difference it makes. Then let me know about it as the weeks progress.

THIS BLOGS TIP

Two glasses of fruit juice are equal to can of soda. In other words... DON'T DRINK IT!

NEXT BLOG

Food to avoid or a supplement recommendation.


No comments:

Post a Comment